I make biscotti often. I’ve used ground cashew nuts here instead of the more usual ground almonds, because that’s what I had on the shelves (#theartofthelarder), the rain was lashing & I didn’t much fancy leaving the house to buy some. Switch around spice too if you like, ground cinnamon, caraway & fennel are all great. Equally, lemon, tangerine, you name it. Here for those of you who asked for the recipe on instagram...
makes about 18-20
100g peeled cashew nuts, blitzed to powder
1 large egg
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 large orange, zested
1/3 freshly grated nutmeg
good pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160 C
- In a bowl whisk the eggs & sugar together until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, ground nuts, salt, baking powder, orange zest, nutmeg & salt.
- Add the egg & sugar. Using your hands knead the mix together to form a firm cohesive dough. 2 minutes of kneading should do it?
- Shape the mix into a large flat log, about 20cm long, 10cm long & 2 - 3 cm deep. Don’t stress about measurements too much, you just want an even shaped log.
- Put the biscotti log on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper & bake for 20 - 25 mins until firm to touch & golden all over.
- Cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Using a bread knife slice the biscotti approximately into 3/4 - 1cm slices.
- Return slices to the baking tray & bake again in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes until completely crisp throughout.
- Remove from the oven & cool on a wire rack.
- These biscotti will keep in a well sealed container for up to a month (+.... if they even last that long!)
1st bake biscotti
2nd bake biscotti